Press "Enter" to skip to content

Fire claims life on Shackleford Road

According to a press release, Pike County Emergency Services (PCES) responded to a fire at a home on Shackleford Road at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday. The incident, which was reported by passersby, claimed the life of Kenneth Newman, 51, who lived at the home.’¨When firefighting personnel arrived they found the flames had been confined by two men, Mike Bowen and James Evans of Thomaston, using a garden hose. Fire personnel then made entry to the home and extinguished remaining flames. During a search for occupants, a firefighting team found Newman unconscious person in a bedroom. He was quickly evacuated and given extensive medical aid by PCES personnel and a medical crew from Middle Georgia Ambulance. He was transported by ambulance but succumbed.’¨’¨ ”We didn’t know that anyone was inside when we arrived, though it is our department’s practice to treat each structure fire as though that is the case,” stated Chief Danny Henderson. “As with other similar incidents, we followed our protocols and immediately began a primary search of the structure in conjunction with firefighting efforts. Firefighter David Holmes, a new addition to PCES, was the first to find Newman. He and I pulled Newman out of the structure and our personnel immediately began medical care.’ Coroner Terrell Moody said Newman died from smoke inhalation due to the fire. Conner-Westbury Funeral Home in Griffin is in charge of funeral arrangements.

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Website by - Copyright 2021