Press "Enter" to skip to content

Pirates defeat Mustangs 31-26

The Pirates first coaches and teammates were honored at last Friday’s game. Above, the Pirates football team’s first coach Ronnie Lowe was thanked by current head coach Brad Webber for starting the program 50 years previously. 

The PCHS Pirates football team defeated the Morrow Mustangs 31-26 last Friday as seniors on the team were honored as well as members of the first Pirates football teams from 1971 and 1972. 

The Pirates received the ball to start the game and took advantage of the opportunity as they marched down the field and chewed up time until #30 Jakilen King scored a 10-yard rushing touchdown with a successful PAT by Ozzie O’Steen to make the score 7-0 with 6 minutes left in the first quarter. The Pirates held Morrow on downs but then fumbled the ball at their own 32-yard line and the Mustangs scored to make it 7-7 with one minute left in the first quarter. 

In the second quarter, #49 Jacob Levin picked up a big sack against the Mustangs and shortly after, #15 Lautic Fordham intercepted a Morrow pass at the Mustangs’ 10-yard line. Ozzie O’Steen kicked a nine-yard field goal to make the score 10-7 Pirates at half time.

After the half, the Mustangs scored with 9 minutes left in the third quarter to make the score 14-10. The Pirates picked up a big kickoff return as #8 Cameron Tuggle ran the ball to Morrow’s 42-yard line. 

Jakilen King scored a six-yard rushing touchdown and Ozzie O’Steen hit the PAT to make the score Pirates 17, Mustangs 14. The Mustangs scored a rushing TD on their next possession but missed the PAT, moving the score to Mustangs 20, Pirates 17. 

With one minute to go in the third quarter, #22 Jake Gilpin picked up a long run to move the ball to Morrow’s 46-yard line and Jakilen King picked up another long run to put the ball at the 38-yard line. With 11 minutes left in the third quarter, #40 Rylee Gordon picked up a rushing TD for the Pirates to give them the 24-20 lead after O’Steen hit the PAT. 

With 8 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Cameron Tuggle intercepted a Mustangs pass. Pike turned the ball over on downs at the Mustangs 39-yard line but #9 Harrison Edge recovered a fumble to get the ball back. 

With minutes left in the game, Jakilen King picked up his third rushing touchdown and O’Steen added the extra point to make it 31-20 Pirates. The Mustangs picked up a last minute rushing TD but failed to make the two-point conversion and the Pirates picked up the 31-26 win. 

This Friday, the Pirates will clash with the Central Chargers of Macon in a AAA Region 2 match as they attempt to improve their 2-5 season record.

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *